Thursday, May 13, 2010

Known by our Actions

"Do what I say and not what I do". I grew up hearing those words more than once, and every time they'd go down like I'd just swallowed a fish bone. To translate, it should of sounded something like, "I'm expecting you to do or act in a way I have no intention of myself". It was hypocrisy...pure and simple! Don't tell me 'til you can show me!

There are people in courtrooms across the land pleading that their intentions be considered above their actions as if what they've done just somehow "happened" mysteriously. How can someone honestly say that what they've done was completely unintentional- an act apart from their will? They may have known better, but they're actions certainly were what they intended.

As leaders, our actions speak so much louder than what we say. What we do is being critiqued constantly. No matter how well-meaning our intentions or eloquence, it's ultimately our actions that people judge. In fact, with one careless act, someone could invalidate even the most well-crafted, well-meaning words.

When instructing his young leader about the qualifications of an Overseer, the Apostle Paul wrote Timothy , "...he must have a good testimony among those who are outside lest he fall into reproach..." (1 Timothy 3:7). That good testimony is established through the actions and conduct amongst others- especially amidst those outside the faith.

In the Book of James we read that with our words we can bridle our whole body (James 3:2), but if our conduct isn't in harmony with our words, it's our words that become invalid not our actions. Our words and actions should align however, our actions will always override our words.

Someone once said, "I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather have one walk beside me than merely point the way." As Ben Franklin was quoted as saying, "A good example is the best sermon."

Would you agree that our actions speak louder than our words?

No comments: